Based in Picton, we’re proud to serve local Marlborough businesses at Gregory Engineering. But, you might be surprised to know that we offer marine engineering services for clients further afield, nationally and internationally. But what exactly is Marine Engineering? And how do you choose who to work with? Read on to find out more.
What is Marine Engineering?
Wikipedia will tell you, “Marine engineering is the engineering of boats, ships, submarines, and any other marine vessel. It also includes engineering other ocean systems and structures.”
Marine Engineering is a catch-all phrase for a range of services we offer, from fabrication to mechanical servicing and repair. It can encompass anything that keeps your boat moving efficiently, but equally, it can cover on-shore marine installations of new parts.
We work with all types of clients from our Picton base. Ranging from large commercial entities to private individuals.
Some popular services we offer include;
- Hydraulic servicing and repairs of boats and marine equipment. Jason sometimes describes this as ‘Fixing or maintaining anything that hangs off an engine.’!
- Fabrication, welding and repairs of things on and off boats! Including aluminium linkspans for jetties and pontoons. Stainless Steel Handrails or Biminis & Fairleads.
- Maintenance and installation of a vessel’s fishing equipment, from repair of pumps, and winches to manufacture of line haulers and pully blocks.
- Specialised bespoke items for one-off designs
Choosing the right service provider.
Boating, yachting and fishing, whether commercially or recreationally, involves expensive kit. So, you need to be sure you can trust your service provider. You must do your homework if you’re looking for someone to help with these services.
Our top three tips for checking they will meet your needs are:
- Check what experience they have. Find out who they work with and the types of jobs they have completed.
- Be sure that they have the correct levels of insurance. Your marine engineering company should have Ship Builder’s Insurance and Liability Insurance.
- Ascertain whether they have 24/7 coverage and their typical response times if you are likely to need them in an emergency.
At Gregory Engineering, you’ll find we tick all the boxes. But don’t take our word for it. Here’s what our Marlborough-based clients say;
From their knowledgeable staff to their quality workmanship. Gregory Engineering provides an exceptional service. Whether it is a bespoke design or a solution for a complex project, we know that we can count on their expertise both for ourselves and our clients.Marine Services NZ
Talk to us about your project. You can contact us HERE.